The company internal training programs are widely applied to help employees practice their knowledge and professional skills. What are the common forms of training? How to build these programs? Let's find out with Viindoo in this article!
What are the company internal training programs?
The company internal training programs help employees build working skills such as organizing courses, training programs, etc. These programs are fundamental for the business success achievement. The training also improve the knowledge, skills, and performance of employees as well as employee retention.
There are many employee training types for businesses to apply. For example, businesses can organize direct training with managers through events, seminars, or set up online soft skills courses with top experts.
Benefits of company internal training programs
The company internal training programs play an important role in the human resource development roadmap and long-term orientation of the enterprise. Nowadays, many internal training programs are conducted such as: Google’s Googler to Googler, Facebook’s Managing Unconscious Bias, Amazon’s Pivot, etc.
However, in Vietnam, these programs have not been fully promoted and focused. Many business owners also think that human resources training is time-consuming, resource-intensive or simply not part of the company's development plan.
To understand why many companies around the world invest in internal training programs, let's find out the following benefits:
- Increase employee productivity: Training courses will help employees get an overview and in-depth of their work. As a result, the professional capacity, as well as the working productivity of employees, will be significantly increased.
- Save recruitment costs: Instead of having to spend money to recruit and pay new employees, businesses only need to train employees of the company that already have a foundation. Businesses can also save a lot of time to recruit and train new employees.
- Build employee loyalty: Through training sessions, employees will realize the value of the work they are doing. From there, employees' trust and loyalty to the business will be strengthened, creating opportunities for them to develop their own capabilities.
- Build corporate culture: Building corporate culture is indispensable in the company internal training programs. Employees should be the core element for creating the learning and working culture. An enterprise with well-trained employees can better achieve work efficiency.
- Develop a professional management system: The company internal training programs will provide employees with in-depth knowledge about the projects and products. This allows the working process to be carried out more smoothly and efficiently.
- Orient the long-term development: Employee training plays a key factor in the long-term development of the enterprise. In fact, employees are the people who implement business strategies. Therefore, the quality of employees will determine the strategic results of the business.
- Retain good employees: In addition to good remuneration policies, the clear career development path can greatly affect employees’ decision to stay long.
Internal training helps train employees' skills
>>>> Learn More: What is Employee Engagement? How to improve employee interaction
Common company internal training programs
Each business will have different characteristics, personnel structure, and business products. Therefore, they will apply different types of training sessions based on their unique characteristics. The popular company internal training programs applied are:
- Mentoring: Mentoring refers to training sessions that include an experienced employee and an inexperienced employee. In these sessions, the mentor should provide the mentee necessary knowledge for the job. This form of training is suitable for businesses that often have to recruit new employees.
- On-the-job training: After these training sessions, personnel should know how use the available resources of the enterprise. On-the-job training is suitable in the situation of new products launching, changing in business orientation, or updating new software.
- 1 on 1 company internal training programs: With these training programs, an experienced employee should directly train new or less experienced ones. Usually, businesses only use one-on-one training when they need a highly skilled employee.
- Seminars: Many businesses organize seminars to improve employees’ skills and professionalism. With this method, the presenter needs to focus on his level of expertise to lead the lecture and solve the issues discussed.
- Total company internal training programs: Total company internal training programs also show effectiveness with great benefits. The company should regularly organize internal training to equip employees with adequate skills, products, corporate culture, etc.
- Online training: In 2017, 77% of US businesses uses online training. This training method can significantly reduce training time by 40-60%. As the result, companies have more time to complete assigned tasks. To join the training session, an individual only needs a computer or simply a phone with an internet connection.
Internal training and external training - Which form should enterprises use?
Company internal training programs and external training both have its advantages. What is the difference between these two forms? Look at the table to know:
|Internal training||External training|
|Conducted by internal employees||Conducted by experts or influencers from outside the company|
|Target audience is internal employees||Target audience is internal employees, remote employees, partners, customers, etc.|
|The purpose of training is to disseminate employee policies, corporate culture, etc.||The purpose of training is to learn more about new knowledge, business or leadership perspectives from professionals|
|Use internal resources||Hire outside consultants|
|Managed by existing employees||Organized by professionals with specialized knowledge|
|Limit learning and teaching to a company||Employees can meet and exchange ideas with experts and lecturers from other organizations|
5 steps to build company internal training programs
Step 1: Assess training and development needs of the company
First, businesses need to determine what business strategy they want to build. How to plan human resources? What are the benefits of company internal training programs? The main goal of the training program is to help employees gain more professional knowledge and skills.
Assess training and development needs of the company
Step 2: Define training objectives
Enterprises need to clarify requirements and objectives during company internal training programs. Here’re two factors that businesses need to ensure:
- Employees’ roles and responsibilities to achieve business objectives
- The important tasks to achieve the set objectives
After determining the training objectives, enterprises should give specific orientations for the training session. This is an important step to achieve the success of the training session.
Step 3: Develop a training process
Before conducting the training session, businesses need to develop a clear and detailed training plan. A good training program will motivate more employees to attend the session.
This plan should include methods, materials, instructions, etc. These are some notes when building a plan for company internal training programs:
- Prepare materials with clear examples and practical cases
- Maintain interactions during the training session with questions and discusses
- Break down training knowledge and avoid putting too much content into one session
Developing internal training processes and programs
Step 4: Conduct training
When conducting training, enterprises need to arrange a clear schedule and suitable trainers. In addition, enterprises should classify employees into groups with appropriate needs, qualifications, and titles. Each enterprise with different training purposes will develop different solutions.
Step 5: Evaluate training effectiveness
After finishing the training session, the enterprise needs to evaluate the results of the staff as well as the organizers. Businesses can collect employee comments and feedback after the training session to access the training effectiveness.
Evaluate training effectiveness
>>>> Continue With
- Onboarding training process for employees in the enterprise
- What is CHRO? Position and role of CHRO in the enterprise
The article by Viindoo provides details about the company internal training programs. Hopefully, the above information helps businesses organize an effective training session. Contact Viindoo now for more consultantcy on business management solutions and effective employee training methods!
- Address: 6th Floor, Taiyo Building, No. 97 Bach Dang, Ha Ly Ward, Hong Bang District, Hai Phong, Vietnam
- Hotline: 0225 730 9838
- Website: https://viindoo.com/