What is TPM? What is the goal of TPM? What are the benefits of implementing TPM in an enterprise? The answer will be answered in the following article of Viindoo. Find out with us now.
1. What is TPM?
TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) is a management method in an enterprise-oriented towards innovation in the organization's maintenance activities. The TPM process will involve all personnel in the business.
>>>> See More About: Types of production in business and characteristics
2. Objectives of TPM
TPM aims to address the sources of equipment degradation in the manufacturing plant. This is done by building the right equipment and operator relationships in your business operations.
More specifically, TPM aims at 4 goals:
- Zero Breakdown: There is no problem using the machine.
- Zero Defect: There is no waste product.
- Zero Waste: No loss.
- High Moral & Business Ownership: Increase awareness and entrepreneurial spirit.
What is the goal of TPM?
>>>> Read About: What is Downtime in Production? 3 effective ways to reduce downtime
3. Benefits of TPM
- Reduce inventory, save money Production expense and equipment maintenance.
- Lower the rate of occupational accidents.
- Increase productivity.
- Increase profits, reduce waste and waste into the environment.
- Reduce waste in the production process.
- Improve working environment for workers.
- Increase competitive advantage.
- Increase competence and confidence.
- Increase knowledge and skills.
- Enhance creativity and work ethic.
- Improve the image of the factory.
>>>> More Reference: Production capacity planning? Standard planning method
4. 8 pillars of TPM
4.1 Autonomous Maintenance
In this pillar, machine operators need to know how to maintain, repair and recognize damage to a certain extent. Self-managed maintenance helps the operator understand the structure and function of the equipment.
Along with that, the operator also understands the relationship between production equipment and output quality. Operators must also comply with strict regulations to detect machinery abnormalities and offer the most appropriate and quick solution.
The autonomous maintenance pillar is accomplished by:
- Give the operator greater “ownership” of the equipment.
- Improve operator knowledge of equipment.
- Make sure equipment is clean and well lubricated.
- Identify problems before they become bugs.
- Allows maintenance personnel to perform higher-level tasks.
4.2 Planned Maintenance
In this pillar, businesses need to develop a plan for equipment maintenance. From there, equipment users can prevent possible errors, increase machine life, save repair time, ...
The Pillar of Planned Maintenance is accomplished by:
- Dramatically reduce unexpected device downtime.
- Allows maintenance planning most of the time when equipment is not scheduled for production.
4.3 Quality Management
With this pillar, businesses need to build a system to control quality throughout the production process from the first stage to distribution and after-sales. From there, mistakes can be prevented in time. At the same time, it becomes easier to find errors and fix them.
The quality management pillar is accomplished by:
- Target quality issues specifically with improvement projects that focus on rooting out defects.
- Reduce costs by detecting errors early
4.4 Focus Improvement
The innovation pillar has a priority focus on improving the key issues in the enterprise's production process. This pillar also encourages the creativity of individuals or departments about improvements in enterprise production management.
Improvements with focus
The Focused Innovation Pillar is accomplished by:
- Identify recurring problems and find solutions.
- Talented people in the business work together to create an engine for continuous improvement.
4.5 Training and Education (Training & Education)
A standardized training and training system will be a prerequisite for the operations in the TPM and the maintenance system to be able to function properly. The training and coaching must also be effective, bringing a lot of value to the business.
The coaching and training pillar is accomplished by:
- Operations staff in the enterprise are given the opportunity to develop the skills to keep equipment running and identify emerging problems.
- Maintenance personnel learn techniques for proactive and preventive maintenance.
- Business administrators are trained on the 8 principles of TPM along with employee training and development.
4.6 Safety & Health (Safety & Health)
This pillar in TPM has the goal of aiming for an environment with no occupational accidents, no occupational diseases, and no pollution. This pillar pays special attention to the safety of production machinery operators.
The Health and Safety Pillar is accomplished by:
- Eliminate potential health and safety risks, for a safer workplace.
- Specifically aiming to be an accident-free workplace.
4.7 Support Systems
Support departments play an important role in the operation of TPM. These departments are responsible for collecting, processing and analyzing information, meeting other necessary requirements of production.
The pillar support system is accomplished by:
- Assist in resolving administrative issues that arise, thereby extending the benefits of TPM.
- Improve administrative operations more optimally to improve production processes (e.g. order processing, procurement, and planning).
>>>> Refer Now: What is the MES system? The role of the MES system in production
4.8 Initial Phase Management
The management system from scratch is an integral part of TPM's 8 pillars. This system reviews the production activities in the enterprise from start to finish. From there, the system will help businesses find weaknesses and improve right from the first time.
The management pillar from scratch is accomplished by:
- Problems in the device are solved from the start
- Actual assessment before installation
5. How to implement TPM in the business
Here are some ways to implement TPM in your business:
- Assess the TPM level from the outset.
- Building committee on TPM.
- Train employees and stakeholders on the pillars of TPM.
- Develop TPM's goals and policies.
- Establish a roadmap for TPM construction.
- Establish a comprehensive plan to implement TPM in the enterprise.
- Implement TPM as planned.
Through the above article, Viindoo helped your business find the answer to the question "What is TPM?". Hopefully, this article will be useful and help you build an effective production process. If you have any questions about TPM, please leave a comment below this article for us to answer enthusiastically.
>>>> Continue With: