What is Jira? Jira is known as an application to monitor and manage problems that occur in project activities at enterprises now. For better understand of Jira as well as its uses and operation, you can refer to the following article of Viindoo enterprise software.
What is Jira?
Jira is a famous software developed by the Australian company Atlassian. This task management software is a tool to help businesses track, manage, solve problems and errors in projects. The software works on the results of the work while supporting businesses to use it easily and flexibly. In addition, the technology has evolved into a centralized and highly customizable Jira task management system.
What is Jira Software?
Main features of Jira software
Jira software is known as a multi-functional application; is a powerful support tool for many businesses today. Jira Business Management Software has the following main features:
- Support to manage and track the project's work progress;
- Handle problems and bugs, improve and build new features;
- Create and save highly configurable filters, share filters with other users, or subscribe and receive results via periodic e-mail;
- Equip with JIRA Query Language filter to make searching easy and fast;
- Build an efficient and appropriate working process to meet the requirements of each project;
- Provide a separate space to manage personal related information for users;
- Provide a variety of report templates, diagrams to ensure suitability for all needs and types of projects;
- Have ability to integrate and exchange with other applications such as Excel, Email, etc.
Jira software has many features
Reference: What is Microsoft Project? Details of features and service packages
Some terms need to know when using Jira
Jira project management software has foreign origin so most of technology terms are used in English. Here are some common terms when using Jira software that you may not know:
- Sprint: A cycle from 2 to 4 weeks. In which the development team carries out all the necessary work such as planning, analyzing goals, and generating design ideas to create small parts of the product.
- Backlog: An aggregated list of user issues and bugs (user stories, bugs and providing feature for a product or sprint.
- Scrum: The Agile method is where the product is set up in iterations during a sprint.
- Scrum of scrums: A tool to help extend the scrum model where multi-team projects are called program management.
- Board: A tool that helps to display the work activities taking place in a specific work process. In addition, this type of tool also supports integration with different Agile methods. For example, The Scrum table shows the migration from the product backlog to the sprint backlog. While Kanban board has 3 step workflow: To do, In Progress, Done.
Jira software uses many difficult terms
In addition to the above terms when using Jira software, users also need to know about some other basic terms such as:
- Roles: A tool to determine the roles of each member in the project. The participants will be added to roles; at the same time, create Resource Allocation and project teams for future project activities.
- Issue: There are features, tasks, bugs, or any other type of project.
- Project: A tool set up to divide authority among members in the project's operation process.
- Workflow: An overview, comprehensive work as well as setting basic steps for each part of that work.
- Priority: The tool shows the priority of problems and errors in the project.
- Status: Representation of the issues’ location in the workflow.
- Burndown Chart: Graph showing the estimated and actual amount for total amount of work to be completed in a sprint.
- Daily stand-up: This is a small meeting 15 minutes before the start of the working day. This will assist members in capturing all of the last phases of work.
What are the pros and cons of Jira?
To use Jira teamwork software more easily and effectively, businesses need to consider some issues of Jira's pros and cons.
Jira software integrates many outstanding features so that businesses can better manage project activities:
- Jira is a software that supports decentralized functions in a project for businesses. Specifically, the software can divide rights in the common project; You can also assign detailed permissions to each small task, ensuring the security of exclusive information.
- Jira can easily connect to other systems such as Email, Excel, RSS, etc.
- Jira equips with a modern module system and additional development tools that allow customizing, extending, and integrating into the current system.
- Jira is a software developed using the HTML standard that has been tested on all popular browsers today.
- Jira can work on almost any type of hardware platform, operating system, and database in enterprises.
- The Jira screen always has a printing function that ensures quick and easy transfer of hard copies.
- The software features directly integrate with the code in the development environment, which is a suitable support tool for developers.
In addition to the above advantages, Jira software has some disadvantages such as:
- Software costs are quite high for many Enterprises: On average, businesses using 10 accounts or less will lose $10/account per month. And if the business owns 11-100 accounts, the amount to pay is $7/account per month.
- It takes a lot of time and effort to install the software. Therefore, Jira only maximizes efficiency with large projects, not suitable for small and medium projects (under 3 months).
- The software uses English language with many difficult terms so the use causes many difficulties for many businesses.
- The software has a complex operating process that requires users to have high expertise. In addition, users have to spend a lot of time and effort to learn thoroughly before using.
The pros and cons of Jira software
How to use Jira in project management
To understand clearly how to use, as well as basic operations of Jira software, users should note the following steps:
Issue is a basic component of JIRA so to use this software you must first know how to create a new issue. Here are instructions on how to create an issue you should know.
- Click on the create item on the Top bar.
Fill in the relevant information and data including: Project name, issue type, summary, priority, completion time, responsible person, test environment, detailed content description, estimated time required to complete, attachments, etc.
- Configure settings as required:
- Click the Configure Field button and then select the Custom item.
- Select the desired fields or select all to display all fields.
Dialog box creates a new issue
Interact with issue
After creating a new issue, the next thing to do is interact with the issue. In this section, we give you some steps to interact with the issue below.
- Categorize and sort attachments.
- Copy issue
- Select the issue which want to copy.
- Click More then select Clone.
- Switch from subtask to issue and vice versa.
- Select the sub-task or issue which want to convert.
- Click More and choose Convert to Issue or Convert to Sub-task.
- Vote for Favorite Issue
- Search and categorize Issue through Issue tracking with stickers.
- Select Issue
- Click More then select Labels to add or remove labels.
Search for issues
If you can't find the Issue you are looking for in the application, you can refer to some ways to search below:
- How to search quickly: Enter the keyword you want to find in the Quick Search box and then press Enter.
- Basic search: Open the Issues menu on the header bar and then select Search for issue.
- Advanced search: Open the Issues menu on the header bar then select Search for issue then select Advanced
- Actions after having search results:
- How to adjust the display interface: Select List view or Detail view.
- How to change the sort order of each column: Click on the column name to change.
- How to hide or show columns: Click on Columns and select the columns you want to hide/show
- How to move columns: Drag and drop
- How to view issue details: Enter keywords or issue name to view
Search for issues
Create a search filter
Search filter is a utility tool in Jira software. If you do not know how to classify and use filters, you can refer to the filter operations below:
- Filter categories:
- System filters are the filters available in the system including issues, recently viewed items, opened issues, and reports.
- Favorite filters are filters created by the user and arranged in alphabetical order.
- Filter operations: After creating a filter, users can perform operations including search, update, and delete filters. Also, create anonymous filters, add filters to favorites, share or follow filters.
Making reports is one of the outstanding features of Jira software. This tool provides many different types of reports in the business. Thereby helping users make reports easily as well as helping managers have a better overview of the project. Here are some of the most essential types of reports:
- Statistical report of the number of issues.
- The report identifies the number of issues has been created and the number of issues has been resolved.
- The statistical report displays as a pie chart. Voted by users based on many different criteria.
- Report the number of issues selected by the user in a given period.
Jira software graphical reports
Viindoo Project - Effective project management solution to replace Jira
Viindoo Project is a project management software trusted by many businesses today. The software allows users to plan, collaborate, and report on projects in the enterprise. In addition, the software is integrated with other applications on the same platform.
Viindoo Project software
So what are the outstanding advantages of Viindoo Project software that your business will get when using?
- Flexible work management software, always keeping track on the project's progress and workflow;
- Modern, user-friendly interface. The jobs are tracked on the chart to help increase the level of visualization for the user;
- The division of work and collaboration between departments are implemented on the same interface. This makes it easy for users to use and flexible in decentralization;
- Allocating implementation resources and spending time forecasts for each project to make it easy to calculate profits;
- The reporting system is presented in detail according to each criterion. Also, integrate reports with charts to increase convenience and ease in project tracking;
- Integration with other Viindoo applications.
Ready to experience the excellence?
Start now with an effective and comprehensive project management tool for only 8$/month.
TRY NOW - It's free! or Contact us
The above article is a summary of all the information that tells you what is Jira and how to use Jira. Hopefully, through the above article of Viindoo, you have understood more about this application as well as choosing the right software for your business. If you have any questions, you can contact Viindoo directly for timely support.
Other Useful Software: